Panela and Spinach soup
In 40 minutes you can have this fantastic vegetarian tomato based panela and spinach soup.
Spinach and Panela SoupCourse: AppetizersCuisine: Mexican
A delicious vegetarian soup with Panela cheese and spinach which is quick and easy to make.
150g white onion (roughly 1 small onion) roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic peeled
600g of tomatoes roughly chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch of ground cumin
200g fresh baby spinach leaves with the stalks removed
500g panela cheese cut into 1cm cubes
- Place the onion, garlic, and tomatoes into a blender and blend at high speed until you have a smooth sauce.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a saucepan
- Add the vegetable oil, salt, pepper and cumin to the saucepan.
- Add the spinach to the saucepan, tearing any larger leaves in half.
- Bring sauce to a boil and simmer for ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the panela to the soup, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Paneer can be substituted for the panela with very similar results.
- If you cant get baby spinach, use normal spinach but tear the leaves into smaller pieces
I was amazed how quick and easy this was to make. The flavors were fantastic and it made a great lunch for us with very little fuss.